Excellent article by Gary Wolf which owes a great deal to Kevin Kelly’s “Quantified Self” http://www.quantifiedself.com/. Foucault could see the deeper implications of our race to intimately know ourselves. To take control of our own data. We are being turned into the instruments of our own control.
Our entire lives are now being managed by ourselves, which seems good doesn’t it. Government collates and quantifies citizens (biopolitics) but this extends beyond government, much as government hands most social infrastructure to private companies. Companies will increasingly demand our consent and contract for every civic provision. Our privacy and data for their services. While this wears a compelling face for the classic neoliberal subject with the illusion of individual mastery and freedom, this is nonetheless becoming compulsory. Foucault’s Biopower in Deleuze’s Societies of Control.
This also illustrates the ‘irrationality of rationality’ in Weber’s ‘iron cage of rationality’. Increasingly, we record our lives rather than living them.
What’s inside the box?
- RT @RoboticVisionAU: Help us create an #RVroadmap for Australia - here is why we need one: computerworld.com.au/article/627408… @Computerworld @georgepn…... 46 minutes ago
- RT @agilityrobotics: Sniff. They grow up so fast. twitter.com/AMBER_lab/stat…... 49 minutes ago
- Next ATC Colloquiam features Franklin Foer on existential technology threats via @ken_goldberg ow.ly/p5FE30fh1A0 (it's a must!)... 5 hours ago
- RT @svrobo: What great view! Next visit will need to be @TheRoboticsHub at @svrobo at Yosemite twitter.com/svrobo/status/…... 4 days ago
- RT @rsiegwart: ETH Robot ANYmal likes the sea in Italy. https://t.co/UsU3hUlKTD... 4 days ago
all up1 SWORD 2 SWORDS 3 SWORDS 4 SWORDS 5 SWORDS Aesthetics AI Anarchy art being awesome Children Creativity Culture cyborgs dreamy Embodiment Family Fashion Feminism Fighting Football fun geek kids fun stuff robots Geek Stuff gender Grrr Grumpy hands off our internet unless you bring fatter pipes history technology gender research Human-Robot Relations Ideas just think about it just thinking about stuff is underated in the technology industry making stuff Me Motherhood Music Newtown no damn idea Non-humans Philosophy pop culture Punk really? robot fun Robots Science SciFi Sex sexy ideas funny Sport state i'm in Stupidity Surfing Suzuki Sword Awards Tae Kwondo Technology tech porn Telling It Like It Is Thinking Twitter Unfinished Violin weird shit i think of Whatever what were you thinking with added awesome Women in Tech Women Warriors wondering Writing wtf? yay kids! Zeitgeist