Excellent article by Gary Wolf which owes a great deal to Kevin Kelly’s “Quantified Self” http://www.quantifiedself.com/. Foucault could see the deeper implications of our race to intimately know ourselves. To take control of our own data. We are being turned into the instruments of our own control.
Our entire lives are now being managed by ourselves, which seems good doesn’t it. Government collates and quantifies citizens (biopolitics) but this extends beyond government, much as government hands most social infrastructure to private companies. Companies will increasingly demand our consent and contract for every civic provision. Our privacy and data for their services. While this wears a compelling face for the classic neoliberal subject with the illusion of individual mastery and freedom, this is nonetheless becoming compulsory. Foucault’s Biopower in Deleuze’s Societies of Control.
This also illustrates the ‘irrationality of rationality’ in Weber’s ‘iron cage of rationality’. Increasingly, we record our lives rather than living them.
What’s inside the box?
- Aww - my cryptokotties had a baby - and the whole internet got .0001% slower... 1 week ago
- Linda Nagata is now my favorite writer about robots. She really nails the near future details in The Last Good Man… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…... 1 week ago
- RT @svrobo: Why robots won't steal 800k jobs by 2030 - mailchi.mp/svrobo/sglei2t…... 1 week ago
- RT @andrei_danescu: Hey robot friends, vote for us in the amazing @svrobo @RobotLaunch competition! twitter.com/botsandus/stat…... 1 week ago
- RT @RobotLaunch: svrobo: RT MontaudPro: The french reference newspaper for the Industry, usinenouvelle , is presenting de worldwide consort…... 2 weeks ago
all up1 SWORD 2 SWORDS 3 SWORDS 4 SWORDS 5 SWORDS Aesthetics AI Anarchy art being awesome Children Creativity Culture cyborgs dreamy Embodiment Family Fashion Feminism Fighting Football fun geek kids fun stuff robots Geek Stuff gender Grrr Grumpy hands off our internet unless you bring fatter pipes history technology gender research Human-Robot Relations Ideas just think about it just thinking about stuff is underated in the technology industry making stuff Me Motherhood Music Newtown no damn idea Non-humans Philosophy pop culture Punk really? robot fun Robots Science SciFi Sex sexy ideas funny Sport state i'm in Stupidity Surfing Suzuki Sword Awards Tae Kwondo Technology tech porn Telling It Like It Is Thinking Twitter Unfinished Violin weird shit i think of Whatever what were you thinking with added awesome Women in Tech Women Warriors wondering Writing wtf? yay kids! Zeitgeist