A whimsical post for National Robotics Week.
The Naming of Robots is a difficult matter,
It isn’t just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I’m as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a robot must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there’s the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey–
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter–
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a robot needs a name that’s particular,
A name that’s peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his power perpendicular,
Or spread out his data, or cherish his code?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricobot,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-
Names that never belong to more than one robot.
But above and beyond there’s still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover–
But THE ROBOT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a robot in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.
apologies to T.S. Eliot
What’s inside the box?
- Silicon Valley Robotics joined a panel of experts at @HooverInst to discuss AI and Industry 4.0 with visiting Germa… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…... 4 days ago
- RT @andi_staub: [essential ReRead] What is good #robot #design? #artificalintelligence #AI #Robotics #fintech #insurtech #ethics #innovat…... 1 week ago
- RT @RobotLaunch: Hey Toronto - I feel like I found my tribe! Great FutureWorld event #FITC fitc.ca/webu - I’ll be back!... 2 weeks ago
- RT @maggie_greyson: @RobotLaunch knocked it out of the park #FutureWorldToday thx for creating a list of best practice principles for #robo…... 2 weeks ago
- RT @HallieSiegel: Ryan Gariepy from @clearpathrobots on testing self driving vehicles @theriift #FutureWorldToday “what’s the worst the can…... 2 weeks ago
all up1 SWORD 2 SWORDS 3 SWORDS 4 SWORDS 5 SWORDS Aesthetics AI Anarchy art being awesome Children Creativity Culture cyborgs dreamy Embodiment Family Fashion Feminism Fighting Football fun geek kids fun stuff robots Geek Stuff gender Grrr Grumpy hands off our internet unless you bring fatter pipes history technology gender research Human-Robot Relations Ideas just think about it just thinking about stuff is underated in the technology industry making stuff Me Motherhood Music Newtown no damn idea Non-humans Philosophy pop culture Punk really? robot fun Robots Science SciFi Sex sexy ideas funny Sport state i'm in Stupidity Surfing Suzuki Sword Awards Tae Kwondo Technology tech porn Telling It Like It Is Thinking Twitter Unfinished Violin weird shit i think of Whatever what were you thinking with added awesome Women in Tech Women Warriors wondering Writing wtf? yay kids! Zeitgeist