There is a wave of excitement about the very real future of robotics, which is coming very soon. I’m posting some of the zeitgeist here.
from Wired Magazine.
A longtime technology forecaster, Saffo is a managing director at the Silicon Valley investment research firm Discern. Formerly the director of the Institute for the Future, he is also a consulting professor in Stanford University’s engineering department.
The second indicator is an inversion, where you see something that’s out of place. When the Mexican police captured the head of a drug cartel, in the photos the perpetrators were looking proudly at the camera while the cops were wearing ski masks. Usually it’s the reverse. To me that was an indicator that Mexico was very far from winning its war against the cartels.There are four indicators I look for: contradictions, inversions, oddities, and coincidences. In 2007 stock prices and gold prices were both soaring. Usually you don’t see those prices high at the same time. When you see a contradiction like that, it means more fundamental change is ahead.
Then there are oddities. When the Roomba robot vacuum was introduced in 2002, all the engineers I know were very excited, and I don’t recall them owning vacuums. I said, this is damn strange. This is not about cleaning floors, this is about scratching some kind of itch. It’s about something happening with robots.
Finally, there are coincidences. At the fourth Darpa Grand Challenge in 2007, a bunch of robots successfully drove in a simulated suburb. The same day, there was a 118-car pileup on a California highway. We had robots that understand the California vehicle code better than humans, and a bunch of humans crashing into each other. That said to me, really, people shouldn’t drive.
Like this:Be the first to like this post.
What’s inside the box?
- RT @andi_staub: [essential ReRead] What is good #robot #design? #artificalintelligence #AI #Robotics #fintech #insurtech #ethics #innovat…... 1 week ago
- RT @RobotLaunch: Hey Toronto - I feel like I found my tribe! Great FutureWorld event #FITC fitc.ca/webu - I’ll be back!... 1 week ago
- RT @maggie_greyson: @RobotLaunch knocked it out of the park #FutureWorldToday thx for creating a list of best practice principles for #robo…... 1 week ago
- RT @HallieSiegel: Ryan Gariepy from @clearpathrobots on testing self driving vehicles @theriift #FutureWorldToday “what’s the worst the can…... 1 week ago
- RT @FNGhadaki: Andra Keay on “That Dystopic Robot Future” 5 problems with #robots: 1. Robot smog 2. Robot spam 3. Robot stereotypes 4. Robo…... 1 week ago
all up1 SWORD 2 SWORDS 3 SWORDS 4 SWORDS 5 SWORDS Aesthetics AI Anarchy art being awesome Children Creativity Culture cyborgs dreamy Embodiment Family Fashion Feminism Fighting Football fun geek kids fun stuff robots Geek Stuff gender Grrr Grumpy hands off our internet unless you bring fatter pipes history technology gender research Human-Robot Relations Ideas just think about it just thinking about stuff is underated in the technology industry making stuff Me Motherhood Music Newtown no damn idea Non-humans Philosophy pop culture Punk really? robot fun Robots Science SciFi Sex sexy ideas funny Sport state i'm in Stupidity Surfing Suzuki Sword Awards Tae Kwondo Technology tech porn Telling It Like It Is Thinking Twitter Unfinished Violin weird shit i think of Whatever what were you thinking with added awesome Women in Tech Women Warriors wondering Writing wtf? yay kids! Zeitgeist